Pursuing an education degree is a great way to open new doors of opportunity in teaching, education administration, and student intervention work. Whether you’re already a teacher and want to expand your skills or want to transfer into an education career from another profession, MVNU Online has several master’s degree options to help you boost your knowledge in the education and teaching fields.
In this post, you’ll learn the differences between a Master of Arts in Teaching and a Master of Arts in Education. You’ll also get helpful information about the many available education programs offered by MVNU Online.
Reasons to Pursue a Master’s Degree in Teaching or Education
There are a few reasons someone may want to pursue an advanced degree in education. You may want to:
- Become a licensed teacher: For someone with a bachelor’s degree looking to become a teacher, an accredited master’s degree in either teaching or education is a great option to obtain your certification and enter the field. Just make sure you choose a program designed to prepare you for your desired licensure.
- Sharpen your teaching skills: Maybe you’re currently working as a teacher and want to further your teaching skills or expertise in your subject area(s). In these cases, a master’s degree in teaching may be the best choice.
- Maintain your licensure: Some teachers live and work in states that require them to earn a master’s degree to maintain their licensure. If this is the case for you, a master’s degree in teaching or education can be a good option for furthering your credentials without changing your job.
- Increase your teaching salary: Some educators pursue a master’s degree to increase their earning potential. Generally, having a master’s credential will earn you a higher salary for the same teaching job. For example, in Ohio, teachers with a master’s degree start out earning over $4,000 more on average than teachers with a bachelor’s degree.
- Pursuing a new role in the education field: A master’s degree may qualify you to pursue a different area of education. As we’ll explore further, a master’s degree in education is typically the better choice if you want to pursue a new role in or outside the classroom.
What Is a Master of Teaching Degree?
The Master of Arts in Teaching degree, also sometimes called an MAT or master’s degree in teaching, is focused on providing practical teaching skills and preparing students to earn their state teaching certification. MAT students choose a concentration in accordance with the teaching certification they want to earn or the grade level or subject they already teach.
The program typically offers coursework in areas such as K-12 academic subjects, lesson planning, student assessment, and classroom management techniques. These programs also provide hands-on experience in a real K-12 classroom.
What Is a Master of Education Degree?
The Master of Arts in Education degree, also called an M.A.Ed or master’s in education, shares many similarities with the Master of Arts in Teaching. The differences will depend on the specific program you pursue. In general, many M.A.Ed programs focus more on educational concepts rather than subject-specific coursework. Students in an M.A.Ed program learn about teaching theory and practice or other aspects of the education system.
Some M.A.Ed programs provide a broad education, whereas others allow you to specialize in an area such as school administration or special education. Other M.A.Ed programs involve practical classroom experience in addition to coursework.
Master of Arts in Teaching vs. Master of Education: What’s the difference?
Although the MAT and M.A.Ed are each two-year master’s programs that teach skills to help you learn and advance your education, there are some differences between these degree types.
The Master of Teaching degree works best for individuals who are interested in becoming a teacher or continuing a teaching career and want practical tools they can apply in the classroom.
The Master of Education degree is also an excellent option for becoming a certified teacher, as it provides well-rounded instruction in education theory and practice. For example, it can help you advance your career if you’re already a teacher and want to deepen your knowledge in areas such as instructional design or subject-specific teaching. It can also help you build your credentials and earn certification in a rewarding area such as education intervention.
Education Degrees Offered by MVNU Online
Students can enroll in one of several education degree programs from Mount Vernon Nazarene University (MVNU) Online. These programs are all Master of Arts in Education programs, but each is designed to meet a different educational need. Take a moment to see whether one of these programs would help you achieve your educational career goals.
Master of Arts in Education—
Professional Educator's License (PEL)
In this 22-month program, you’ll take classes covering educational theory, leadership and ethics, instructional design, and more. The PEL component of the degree program prepares you for Ohio teacher licensure in one of 11 specialized areas. This program also includes school placement assistance to help you find the school that is a good match for you.
Master of Arts in Education
(Intervention Specialist—Initial License)
This program prepares you to earn your initial Ohio state license as an Intervention Specialist for Mild/Moderate (ISM) Disabilities. In other words, it prepares you for a career in special education. Online coursework is complemented by in-classroom learning in the first year.
Master Of Arts In Education
(Intervention Specialist—Full License)
If you already have a teaching credential but want to shift your focus to special education or add some expertise in this area, you can earn your Intervention Specialist license through this 100 percent online program. This program can be completed in as little as 18 months.
What If I’m Not Ready for a Master’s Degree?
For individuals just beginning to explore a career in education, MVNU Online also offers a Bachelor of Arts (BA) in Elementary Education. Whatever your educational background or career goals, MVNU Online can help you achieve those goals and start making a difference.
Learn more about a career in teaching by watching our on-demand webinar, “How to Change the World and Get Paid for It.”
Learn more about education degrees!
With so many types of education degree programs, knowing which program is the right fit can be a challenge. The ideal program is out there, ready to help you live out your vocation and enjoy a fulfilling career in education. Learn more by checking out our guide, Which Education Program Is Right for Me?